MaNGOS server freezes 5 minutes after startup

Let me preface this with statement that I am a Linux newbie and this was a struggle to get installed on hardware that was gifted to me by very generous IT people at my work.

I’m currently running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS with VirtualBox 6.0.8 (running Ubuntu Server 18.04 as well). I have installed, configured and successfully started WOW Classic, logged into the game, created a character, got to the first 2-3 minutes of the server being up and then…it lags out.

The server freezes (nothing short of killing the terminal window will exit me out) and unless I set a time for the server to kill itself after it freezes, it will stay that way indefinitely. When it does crash out it gives an error about the “world thread hanging” and “segmentation fault (core dumped.”

I’ve googled everything I possibly could but I’ve failed to find anyone with a similar issue to mine. I’m still learning Linux so my knowledge is limited at best, but i’ll do what I can to get the information I need to fix this problem.

I’ve solved the problem by creating a new VM using Ubuntu server 16.04 instead of 18.04. That’s seems to have fixed everything. I can happily login and play now. Consider this problem closed.